Friday, March 11, 2011

XCode 4–svn. Could not authenticate to server: rejected Basic challenge

Yeah, why this should happen to me during my 1am attempt to check in changes back? I upgraded today to XCode 4 and everything seemed to work ok with svn until this moment. Based onto error message detail and some info here: http://help.beanstalkapp.com/discussions/problems/3083-cannot-connect-with-xcode-4-dev-preview one can say xcode is not sending my credentials to svn right.

I’m not sure what was the version of svn before upgrade on my mac, now it shows on svn –version: svn, version 1.6.5 (r38866). After several attempts to put my login info to the “repositories” place, I had a blast from the past. Ok, so probably this info is cached inside svn itself and after upgrade today it got wiped out?. I have anonymous read access enabled, so that would explain my checkouts working just fine.

So lets use svn itself to attemt to solve this:

cd to your working folder (where your xcode project is located)

use svn st to list your changes inside working folder

use svn commit to commit your changes.

Here, the moment comes and dialog looks like:

1. Stanislav-Dvoychenkos-MacBook-Pro: projectfolder stanislavdvoychenko$ svn commit -m"commit after xcode4 upgrade"
2. Authentication realm: <http://192.168.1.181:80> Subversion Repository
3. Password for 'stanislavdvoychenko':
4. Authentication realm: <http://192.168.1.181:80> Subversion Repository
5. Username: Enter Your username here
6. Password for 'Your username': Enter Your password here

On line #3 just do enter, it will come to #5 eventually if there is no your “computer user” in svn. And on #5 and #6 comes your chance to input correct svn user name and password.

After this procedure, xcode 4 started to commit just ok as well. Argggh, now running to bed!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you!!! My svn doesn't have anonymous access so I just used the list command. Worked like a charm. That was sooo frustrating...

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much. This saved me much headache.

Fernando Sciessere said...

Thank you very much! This saved my life today. I was already pulling out of my hairs.

Steve Gibson said...

Happy Camper!!! Thanks.... I was pulling what was left of my hair out trying to figure this out. I knew it was an xcode issue as Versions, the command line and Tortoise on Windows was all working.....

Anonymous said...

Cheers dude. Seriously saved me a lot of pain.

Anonymous said...

Anybody know how to get it working if there is a .p12 cert required as well by your svn server??

Anonymous said...

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! Saved me lot of time..

Anonymous said...

Great catch. Thanks a lot. - Gerard