Saturday, December 7, 2019

Ubuntu 18.04 server and ESXI on Intel NUC Hades Canyon.

This post is just to confirm that dual boot Ubuntu 18.04.3 server and ESXI 6.7 U3 on Intel NUC Hades Canyon is possible and to describe some pitfalls/obstacles I had to jump through.

My configuration for the Intel NUC Hades Canyon is Kingston dual ranked 2x16GB + 2xSamsung EVO 670 500GB.

I first thought I'd do it with RAID in BIOS, but both ESXI and Ubuntu server just ignored this option anyway and second, I read that actually it is a good idea to avoid this BIOS RAID option in order to be able to read/use disks after the CPU/board failure.

#1 Installing ubuntu 18.04.3 server on Intel NUC Hades Canyon

I should tell I was a long time user of Digital Ocean, Host Europe and so on - preinstalled Ubuntu server was it for me. Somehow this time I bumped into "live" version of Ubuntu server and started to install it with the outcome of installation not seeing the disks to install Ubuntu, "Unfortunately Probing for devices to install to failed.":


This "problem" was the reason for the part #2 of this post - installing ESXI. I only got to the article above and understanding that I picked the wrong Ubuntu version after I have ESXI successfully installed as a boot option for disk 1.

Here is the image for Ubuntu 18.04.3 "not live" server, just for a reference:


I also ran into Ubuntu 18.04 server installation getting stuck at 66% while running'update-grub':


After killing the offending process, to exit busybox I used:

```
exit
```

and then probably Ctrl+F1

#2 Installing VMWare ESXI Hypervisor

My main problem with ESXI installation was creating a bootable ESXI image on my mac. After a bit of research I was lucky enough to find Unetbootin:


Other than that, ESXI was a breeze to install and use. Btw, I used the "live" version of Ubuntu 18.04.3 server as ESXI ubuntu iso image and it worked just alright, I really liked the ssh from github option when installing.
--------

This concludes my notes on dual boot Ubuntu 18.04.3 and ESXI on Intel NUC Hades Canyon. Machine performance is outstanding, no heat, no noise. Performance of AWS large instance to paid for itself within 45 days from what I read.

Next steps are to study on MAAS, LXD, Juju for the Kubernetes deployment as a target.

Also looking forward the next generation of Intel NUC Canyon, the Ghost one!

No comments: